Aloo Chaat, which is a spicy potato snack. Aloo chaat is a popular snack found at north Indian road side vendors. This is one of the very few chaats served without any chutney. However you can always add cilantro and tamarind chutney. This recipe is inspired by the chaat I used to enjoy near my childhood home in India. I incorporated a special spice mix also known as chaat masala and would suggest trying this recipe without chutney. This mouthwatering chaat is just perfect for anyone who loves spicy food.
This recipe will serve 4.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- About 4 cups cubed potatoes, firmly boiled peeled and cut into bite size
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Spice Mix for Chaat Masala
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin seed powder (bhuna jeera)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoons black salt
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (saunth)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Note: This spice mix known as chaat masala can also be used to spice up any food. It especially tastes good when it is sprinkled over sliced cucumber and tomato or over pakoras. You can make the chaat masala in a larger quantity and keep it ready to go whenever you need it.
- To make spice mix all the spice mix together really well and set aside.
- Heat heavy flat frying pan on medium high heat, add the oil in to warm frying pan. Place the cubed potatoes on the frying pan and sprinkle the salt over the potatoes.
- Stir fry the potatoes; turn them occasionally until all sides are golden brown. This process should take 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle ginger, cilantro, green chilies, lemon juice and about 1-1/2 tablespoons of spice mix. Mix it well, making sure all the pieces of potatoes are coated.
- Taste one of the potato and add more spice mix if needed according to your taste.
Aloo Chat Recipe: A Tangy Delight
Aloo Chaat is a popular Indian street food snack that can be prepared quickly and easily. It’s typically gluten-free and vegan, making it suitable for those with dietary restrictions. This appetizer is perfect for Navaratri or any occasion when you’re craving delicious chaat. With its blend of spices and tangy flavors, Aloo Chaat offers a delightful taste experience that’s loved by many.
Introduction to Aloo Chat Recipe
Indulge in the tantalizing flavors of aloo chat with this delightful recipe that promises to tantalize your taste buds. A quintessential street food favorite, aloo chat is loved for its spicy, tangy, and savory taste. This recipe provides a step-by-step guide on how to make aloo chat at home, allowing you to enjoy this beloved snack anytime you crave it.
Step 1: Prepare the Aloo Tikki
Begin by preparing the star ingredient of this dish – the aloo tikki. Boil potatoes until they are tender, then mash them and mix in spices such as cumin powder, coriander powder, and amchur (dry mango) powder for that authentic flavor. Shape the mixture into small patties and shallow fry them until golden brown and crispy. These flavorful aloo tikkis will serve as the base of your aloo chat, providing a satisfying crunch with every bite.
Step 2: Assemble the Ingredients
Gather all the ingredients you’ll need to assemble your aloo chat. Apart from the prepared aloo tikkis, you’ll need chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, and fresh cilantro for added freshness and crunch. Additionally, prepare tamarind chutney and mint chutney to drizzle over the aloo chat, adding layers of tanginess and flavor to the dish.
Step 3: Arrange the Aloo Tikki on a Plate
Place the crispy aloo tikkis on a serving plate, ensuring they are evenly spaced apart to allow for easy topping and garnishing. The golden-brown hue of the aloo tikkis will entice your senses, promising a delightful culinary experience ahead.
Step 4: Add Toppings and Chutneys
Now comes the fun part – adding the toppings and chutneys to elevate the flavors of your aloo chat. Sprinkle chopped onions, tomatoes, and green chilies generously over the aloo tikkis, ensuring each bite is bursting with freshness. Drizzle tamarind chutney and mint chutney over the toppings, allowing the tangy and spicy flavors to meld together harmoniously.
Step 5: Garnish with Fresh Cilantro
To add a final flourish of freshness and color to your aloo chat, garnish it with a generous handful of freshly chopped cilantro. Not only does cilantro lend a vibrant green hue to the dish, but it also imparts a refreshing burst of flavor that perfectly complements the spiciness of the aloo tikkis and the tanginess of the chutneys.
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
Your delicious aloo chat is now ready to be served and savored. Whether enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or even a light meal, this flavorful dish is sure to delight your taste buds with its irresistible combination of textures and flavors. Serve it hot and fresh, garnished with a sprinkle of chaat masala for an extra burst of zestiness.
Tips for Making the Perfect Aloo Chat
- Ensure the aloo tikkis are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside by frying them over medium heat until golden brown.
- Customize the level of spiciness in your aloo chat by adjusting the amount of green chilies used in the recipe.
- Experiment with different chutney flavors, such as sweet date chutney or spicy garlic chutney, to create unique variations of aloo chat.
Variations of Aloo Chat
- Aloo Tikki Chat: Transform this recipe into a heartier dish by topping the aloo tikkis with a generous serving of chickpea curry, yogurt, and chutneys, creating a wholesome and satisfying meal.
- Aloo Chat with Ragda: Incorporate ragda, a flavorful white pea curry, into your aloo chat for an extra dose of protein and richness.
Benefits of Aloo Chat
- Nutrient-Rich: Potatoes, the main ingredient in aloo chat, are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making this dish not only delicious but also nutritious.
- Quick and Easy: With simple ingredients and minimal preparation, aloo chat is a convenient snack or meal option for busy days.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: Can I make the aloo tikkis ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can prepare the aloo tikkis in advance and store them in the refrigerator. Simply reheat them in a preheated oven or on a skillet before assembling the aloo chat.
Q: Can I make this recipe vegan-friendly?
A: Absolutely! This recipe is inherently vegan, as it does not contain any animal products. Just ensure that the chutneys you use are also vegan-friendly.
Q: Can I add other toppings to my aloo chat?
A: Certainly! Get creative with your toppings by adding ingredients such as sev (crispy chickpea flour noodles), pomegranate seeds, or grated cheese for additional flavor and texture.
For more delicious recipes, explore more Indian recipes, appetizers, beverages, and desserts, be sure to check out the following links on Manjula’s Kitchen. Here are some links to recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen official website: Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe, Chana Chaat (Spicy Chickpea Salad) Recipe, Pav Bhaji (Spicy Vegetable Hash with Buns) Recipe, Raj Kachori (Crunchy Chaat) Recipe, Vegetable Biryani Recip. These recipes should offer you a flavorful experience straight from Manjula’s Kitchen.