Vegetable Biryani is a rich and exotic rice dish with spicy vegetables. The saffron aroma makes this dish very inviting. Biryani is a popular Mughali dish that has been adapted by Indians. Vegetable Biryani makes a great dish for a formal dinner or can be served as main meal.
Recipe serves 4 to 6.
- 1 cup long-grain rice, preferably Basmati
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoons milk
For Vegetable gravy:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 4 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fine shredded ginger
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup cubed paneer
- 2 cup sliced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Wash rice gently changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- For fluffier rice, the rice should be soaked for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Drain the rice and put it into the saucepan. Add water, oil, and salt, and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- For a few minutes soak saffron in warm milk then gently fold the milk into the cooked rice.
Vegetable And Gravy:
- Blend tomatoes to make a puree.
- In a bowl add yogurt, ginger, green chili, salt, turmeric, chili powder – mix it well.
- Add all the vegetables (cauliflower, beans, bell pepper, carrots, paneer, cashews, ginger and green chili) to the yogurt. Mix it well then let it marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds.
- After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, and cook on medium-high heat. While cooking the tomato puree cover the pan so gravy does not splatter all over the burner. Cook until tomato mixture starts leaving oil and reduces to about half the volume.
- Add the marinated vegetables to tomato puree. Let it cook covered for 10 to 12 minutes on medium heat until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir the vegetables in between so they cook evenly.
Prepare The Biryani:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Take baking glass dish 9″ x 9″ or about the same size round bowl.
- Put half of the cooked vegetables into the baking dish.
- Spread half of the cook rice over vegetables. Over the rice, sprinkle with mint and garam masala.
- Pour the remaining vegetables evenly over the rice.
- Spread remaining rice evenly over vegetables.
- Next sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over the rice, and then spread melted butter over the entire dish.
- Cover the pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Cooked rice expands to about 3 times its original size, so be sure to use the proper size pan.
- Serve with mint raita. Mint raita is plain yogurt mixed with salt, black pepper, and dry mint.
- Vegetables can be added and subtracted to your choice.
- Saffron and mint are key ingredients for biryani.
A mouthwatering Recipe to make Vegetable Biryani by Manjula’s Kitchen
Vegetable Biryani, a gluten-free delight, is a lavish rice dish featuring spiced vegetables. Enhanced by the alluring saffron aroma, this biryani is a perfect party recipe. Originating from Mughal cuisine, it has seamlessly integrated into Indian kitchens, making it an ideal choice for formal dinners or as a satisfying main meal. Vegetable Biryani is best served with pickles, raita, chutney and even salads
Preparing Rice for Vegetable Biryani Recipe: A Fundamental Step
To kickstart the vegetable biryani recipe, meticulously wash the rice, ensuring clarity by changing the water several times. This crucial step ensures a clean base for the biryani. For optimal fluffiness, soak the rice for a minimum of 15 minutes before cooking. Once soaked, drain the rice and transfer it to a saucepan. Add water, a hint of oil, and a dash of salt, bringing the mixture to a vigorous boil. After achieving a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the rice cook for approximately 15 minutes. The goal is tender rice with evaporated water. Conclude this biryani vegetable recipe by turning off the heat and delicately fluffing the rice with a fork, creating the perfect base for your vegetable biryani.
Recipe to make Vegetable Biryani: Marinating Vegetables
Begin the recipe to make vegetable biryani by preparing vegetables and blending tomatoes into a puree, laying the foundation for a rich gravy. In a separate bowl, concoct a flavorful mix by combining yogurt, ginger, green chilli, salt, turmeric, and chilli powder. Stir this amalgamation well before introducing a vibrant array of vegetables—cauliflower, beans, bell pepper, carrots, paneer, cashews, ginger, and green chilli. Allow this vegetable medley to marinate in the yogurt-infused blend for a harmonious union of flavors, enhancing the overall taste profile of your vegetable biryani.
Creating Flavorful Vegetable Gravy: A Crucial Element in Your Biryani Vegetable Recipe
To craft the delectable vegetable gravy, commence by heating oil in a saucepan. Gauge the oil’s readiness by adding a cumin seed; if it cracks right away, the oil is prepared. Infuse the oil with asafetida and cumin seeds. Once these seeds crackle, introduce the tomato puree to the pan, covering it to prevent splattering. Cook the tomato mixture on medium-high heat until it reduces by half, exuding a rich, concentrated flavour. At this point, introduce the marinated vegetables to the tomato puree, letting them simmer and meld their tastes for 10 to 12 minutes. Stirring intermittently ensures even cooking, resulting in tender yet distinct vegetables for your biryani.
Preheating and Assembling: Recipe to make Vegetable Biryani
As your culinary masterpiece takes shape, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, creating an ideal environment for the final melding of flavours. Choose a 9″ x 9″ baking glass dish or a similar-sized round bowl as the canvas for your biryani. Commence the assembly by placing half of the cooked vegetables into the dish, forming the first layer of your flavorful creation. Spread half of the cooked rice evenly over the vegetables, creating a balanced harmony of textures. Elevate the aromatic profile by sprinkling mint and garam masala over the rice. Repeat this process with the remaining vegetables and rice, building layers that promise a symphony of tastes in every bite.
Baking the Perfect Vegetable Biryani: Culmination of Vegetable biryani recipe
As the assembly reaches its pinnacle, cover the pan, signifying the transition to the baking phase. Slide the dish into the preheated oven and let the magic unfold for about 30 minutes. This careful baking period allows the flavours to intermingle, creating a cohesive and mouth watering vegetable biryani. The final touch involves sprinkling sliced almonds evenly over the rice, infusing a delightful nuttiness. Drizzle melted butter over the entire dish, ensuring a sumptuous and aromatic finish to your vegetable biryani. The result is a culinary masterpiece that delights the senses and satisfies the palate.