Crispy papad topped with spicy salad makes a very refreshing appetizer. Masala Papad is full of flavors and very tempting. This is a very simple and easy recipe to make.
Papad is a round, flat, dry cracker made with a variety of lentils. They are sold uncooked in Indian grocery stores. You can deep-fry them or dry-roast them.
- 2 plain papad, (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced very small to make a approx. 1cup
- 1/2 English or deseeded cucumber, cut in very small pieces to make it about ½ cup
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely shredded, optional
- 1 green chili finely chopped, optional
- ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoon oil
Spice Mix for Garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch red chili
- Mix all the dry ingredients to make a spice mix, set aside.
- Mix tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, ginger, and green chili, set aside
- Lightly oil the papads from both sides, set aside.
- Preheat the skillet over medium high heat. Roast the papads on both sides in the skillet one at a time, pressing with spatula. The papads will change to a light yellow with a few brown spots. Be careful not to over-roast. Fold the Papads in quarters while they are hot, making triangles right on the skillet.
- Remove the papads from the skillet and break on the folds, creating four triangles from each one.
- Take one piece of papad and top it with cucumber, tomato, ginger, green chili, and cilantro. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle the spice mix on top.
- Removing the seeds from the tomatoes keeps the papads crunchy.
- English cucumber is crisper on the outside and tender on the inside.
- You can prepare the masala papad in advance, and add the toppings just before serving.
Crunchy Delight: How to Make Delicious Masala Papad at Home
Masala Papad is a flavorful appetizer perfect for parties, offering a low-fat, vegan option that delights snack enthusiasts with its crunchy texture and spicy seasoning. Masala Papad is a delightful Indian appetizer that combines the crunchiness of papad with a burst of spicy, tangy flavors. If you’re wondering how to make masala papad, you’re in for a treat! This masala papad recipe brings together a harmonious blend of ingredients to create a dish that’s not only delicious but also incredibly easy to prepare at home. Let’s dive into the steps to prepare this mouthwatering delicacy.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients
To begin your culinary adventure with masala papad, gather all the necessary ingredients. You’ll need papads (plain or flavored), finely chopped tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro leaves, chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, black salt, and lemon juice. These ingredients can be easily found in your local grocery store or Indian market.
Step 2: Prepare the Masala
In a mixing bowl, combine the finely chopped tomatoes, and green chilies. Add a generous sprinkle of chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, and black salt according to your taste preferences. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice to give the masala a tangy kick. Mix everything well to ensure that the flavors are evenly distributed.
Step 3: Roast the Papads
Now, it’s time to roast the papads. You can either roast them over an open flame or in a microwave until they become crispy and golden brown. Keep an eye on them as they can quickly go from perfectly crisp to overly charred.
Step 4: Assemble the Masala Papad
Once the papads are nicely roasted, place them on a serving plate. Take a spoonful of the prepared masala mixture and spread it evenly over each papad, ensuring that every bite is packed with flavor. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for an extra burst of freshness.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
Your delicious masala papad is now ready to be served! Whether you’re hosting a party or simply craving a spicy snack, this dish is sure to impress. Serve it alongside your favorite chutneys or sauces for added indulgence.
Tips for Perfect Masala Papad
Experiment with different toppings such as grated cheese, finely chopped bell peppers, or even crumbled paneer to create your own unique variations of masala papad.
For a healthier alternative, opt for baked papads instead of the traditional fried ones.
If you’re short on time, you can prepare the masala mixture in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Variations of Masala Papad
Paneer Masala Papad: Top your papads with a spicy paneer mixture for a creamy twist on this classic recipe. Check out the recipe here.
Corn Masala Papad: Add a sweet and savory element to your masala papad by incorporating corn kernels into the masala mixture. Find the recipe here.
Schezwan Masala Papad: Give your masala papad an Indo-Chinese twist by drizzling it with spicy Schezwan sauce. Learn how to make Schezwan sauce here.
Benefits of Masala Papad
Masala papad is a low-calorie snack that’s perfect for those watching their weight.
The combination of spices in masala papad aids digestion and stimulates the appetite.
Papads are rich in dietary fiber, making them a healthy option for snacking.
FAQs about Masala Papad
Can I make masala papad in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the masala mixture ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Simply assemble the papads right before serving.
Can I use store-bought papads for this recipe?
Absolutely! Store-bought papads work just as well as homemade ones for making masala papad.
Can I customize the spice level of masala papad?
Of course! Adjust the amount of green chilies and chaat masala according to your preference for spiciness.
With these simple steps and tips, you’ll be able to whip up a batch of delicious masala papad that’s sure to be a hit at your next gathering or as a quick snack for yourself. Enjoy experimenting with different toppings and flavors to create your own signature version of this beloved Indian appetizer!
Other Recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen
If you’re looking to explore more Indian recipes, appetizers, beverages, and desserts, be sure to check out the following links on Manjula’s Kitchen. Here are some links to recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen official website: Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe, Chana Chaat (Spicy Chickpea Salad), Pav Bhaji (Spicy Vegetable Hash with Buns), Raj Kachori (Crunchy Chaat), Vegetable Biryani
These recipes should offer you a flavorful experience straight from Manjula’s Kitchen.