Paneer Methi (Methi Malai Paneer)
- 1-1/2 cups paneer cubed in about 1/2 inch pieces used 8oz paneer
- 1-1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder lal mirch
- 2 Tbsp cashew powder kaju
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tsp fennel seed powder saunf
- 1 Tbsp dry fenugreek leaves kasoori methi
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- Rub the kasoori methi between your palms and remove the stems if there is any, set aside.
- Blend tomatoes, ginger, green chili to fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan on low heat stir fry the paneer until they are light gold in color, take them out.
- Heat the remaining oil in a sauce pan on medium heat. When the oil is moderately hot add cumin seeds. (Cumin seeds should crack right of way). Lower the heat too low, add asafetida, turmeric, chili powder, and cashew powder stir for a minute.
- Add tomato paste, coriander, fennel seed powder, salt and kasoori methi, keep stirring till tomato start leaving the side of the pan, this should take 3-4 minutes. Add milk, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add paneer and let it cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes. This is the time you can add water as needed if gravy is too thick. Add garam masala stir and turn off the heat.
- Paneer Methi is ready.
Methi Paneer Recipe: A Palate-Pleasing Dish
Methi Malai Paneer Recipe is a popular party recipe in Indian cuisine. This flavorful veg gravy dish is rich in high protein and is gluten free combining the richness of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) with the distinct taste of kasuri methi (fenugreek leaves), creating a harmonious blend of textures and aromas.
Kasuri Methi Preparation: Unlocking Aromatic Richness
To commence the Methi Malai Paneer recipe start with the preparation of kasuri methi. This involves a tactile step of rubbing fenugreek leaves between the palms to unlock their aromatic flavors, carefully removing any stems present. Once this initial step is completed, the kasuri methi takes center stage, ready to infuse its unique essence into the dish.
Tomato-Based Foundation: Crafting Depth and Color
The methi malai paneer recipe continues by creating a robust base for the dish. Tomatoes, ginger, and green chili unite in a harmonious blend, resulting in a fine paste that serves as a fundamental component. This tomato-based paste contributes not only vibrant color but also imparts a deep, layered flavor profile to the Methi Paneer. After blending, the mixture patiently awaits its turn to seamlessly integrate into the unfolding cooking process.
Paneer’s Golden Prelude: A Textural Symphony Begins
Transitioning to the cooking phase as we go further in the methi malai paneer recipe add a teaspoon of oil is heated in a pan over low flame. Paneer cubes take center stage as we gently stir-fry until achieving a light golden hue. This initial culinary dance ensures that the paneer attains a delightful texture, priming it to absorb the forthcoming flavors with grace and precision.
Spiced Elevation: Building a Fragrant Foundation
Post-paneer preparation, add the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Include Cumin seeds as they start to crackle and release their earthy aroma. Lower the heat, while a symphony of asafetida, turmeric, chili powder, and cashew powder join the stage, creating a fragrant and flavorful foundation for the paneer methi.
Tomato Tapestry: Melding Flavors with Precision
The tomato paste, a star player prepared earlier, enters the culinary arena as part of the methi paneer recipe. Coriander, fennel seed powder, salt, and the patiently waiting kasuri methi are added. The ensemble is stirred diligently until tomatoes gracefully release from the pan’s sides, a visual and flavorful indication of the meticulous incorporation of diverse elements. This nuanced cooking process takes approximately 3-4 minutes, allowing flavors to intertwine and harmonize.
Creamy Symphony: Milk’s Contribution to Indulgence
To further elevate the dish, milk makes its entrance, contributing a creamy texture that enhances the overall indulgence of paneer methi. The mixture is allowed to simmer, a gentle dance of flavors taking place over 2-3 minutes. The paneer absorbs the creamy richness of the sauce, with the flexibility to adjust the consistency by adding water if the gravy proves too thick.
Paneer’s Reunion: Absorbing Creamy Richness
The previously stir-fried paneer cubes re-enter the pan, allowing them to luxuriate in the creamy tomato and spice-infused gravy. Over low heat, this reunion lasts for an additional 2-3 minutes, ensuring the paneer absorbs the full spectrum of flavors, resulting in a well-balanced and delectable paneer methi.
Garam Masala Finale: Aromatic Culmination
As a grand finale, garam masala is introduced to the dish, enhancing the overall aromatic profile and weaving together the diverse flavors into a harmonious conclusion. A final stir marks the end of the culinary symphony, and the heat is turned off, signaling the completion of the Methi Paneer recipe. The result is a tantalizing masterpiece that marries the succulence of paneer with the unique bitterness of fenugreek leaves, promising to delight the fortunate taste buds that savor this culinary creation of paneer methi.