Mexican Bhel - Indian Fusion Street Food
- 2 flour tortillas 8 inch, uncooked
For The Bean Mix
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup potato boiled peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup bell pepper finely diced, I am using mix of different colors
- ½ cup frozen corn thaw and pat dry
- 1 tbsp jalapeño finely diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cup tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin seed powder
For Hot Sauce
- 10 dry whole red chilies
- ½ cup tomatoes roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin seed powder
- 1 ½ cup lettuce thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blended cheeses cheddar/Monterey
For Bean Mixture
- Toss all the ingredients together, beans, potatoes, bell peppers, corn, cilantro, jalapeno, salt, cilantro, and lemon juice , and set aside.
For Tortilla Chips
- Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch square to use as the "papdi". Heat the oil in frying pan oil should be about 1/2-inch-deep, on medium high heat. Fry the tortillas until they are light golden brown.
For Hot Sauce
- Boil the chilies in about 1 cup of water, till they are soft and tender. If needed add more water. Blend all the ingredients together, tomatoes, chilies, salt and cumin seed powder. make it into paste.
- Blend all the ingredients tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and cumin seeds powder, making into chunky.
- Spread lettuce in the bowl, put the bean mix over, spread some chips, cheese some taco sauce. I will leave on individual how much they want to add the hot sauce.
Mexican Bhel Recipe: Introduction to Mexican Bhel Recipe
Mexican bhel is a delightful fusion dish that combines the flavors of Mexican cuisine with the crunch and zest of Indian street food. This Mexican bhel recipe offers a unique twist on the traditional Indian bhel puri by incorporating ingredients like beans, potatoes, bell peppers, corn, and jalapenos, along with classic Mexican spices and flavors. It’s a perfect appetizer or snack for gatherings or parties, offering a burst of flavors and textures in every bite.
Preparing the Bean Mixture
Start by preparing the bean mixture. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the black beans, diced potatoes, bell peppers, corn kernels, chopped cilantro, finely chopped jalapeno, salt, cilantro, and lemon juice. Ensure all the ingredients are evenly coated with the lemon juice and salt mixture, as it helps to enhance the flavors.
Preparing the Tortilla Chips
Next, let’s make the tortilla chips. Cut the flour tortillas into 1/2-inch squares to use as the base for our Mexican bhel. Heat oil in a frying pan until it’s about 1/2-inch-deep, over medium-high heat. Fry the tortilla squares until they turn light golden brown and crisp. Remove them from the oil and drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
Preparing the Hot Sauce
For those who like an extra kick of heat, let’s make the hot sauce. Boil the chilies in about 1 cup of water until they are soft and tender. If needed, you can add more water to ensure the chilies are fully cooked. Once they are soft, blend all the ingredients together, including tomatoes, chilies, salt, and cumin seed powder, to make it into a smooth paste. This hot sauce will add a fiery flavor to your Mexican bhel.
Preparing the Salsa
No Mexican-inspired dish is complete without salsa. Let’s prepare a chunky salsa to add freshness and tanginess to our Mexican bhel. Blend together tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, salt, and cumin seeds powder, ensuring it remains chunky in texture. This salsa will complement the other flavors in the bhel and add a refreshing contrast.
Assembling the Mexican Bhel
Now, let’s assemble our Mexican bhel. Start by spreading lettuce leaves in a serving bowl. This creates a crisp and fresh base for our bhel. Then, layer the bean mixture over the lettuce, ensuring an even distribution of all the colorful ingredients. Sprinkle some fried tortilla chips over the bean mixture to add crunch and texture. Top it off with grated cheese for a creamy and indulgent touch. Drizzle some taco sauce over the bhel to add a burst of flavor.
For those who enjoy an extra kick of spice, serve the hot sauce on the side, allowing individuals to add it according to their preference. This customizable aspect adds an element of fun to the dish, as everyone can adjust the spice level to suit their taste buds.
Tips for Making Mexican Bhel
- To save time, you can use canned beans instead of cooking them from scratch. Just make sure to rinse them thoroughly before using to remove excess salt.
- Feel free to customize the bean mixture by adding other ingredients like diced avocado, black olives, or red onions for added flavor and texture.
- For a healthier alternative, you can bake the tortilla chips instead of frying them. Simply brush the tortilla squares with a little oil and bake them in a preheated oven until crispy.
- Adjust the spice level of the hot sauce according to your preference by adding more or fewer chilies.
- You can make a large batch of the bean mixture and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days, making it a convenient option for meal prep or quick snacks.
Variations of Mexican Bhel
- Vegetarian Variation: Omit the cheese and use vegan-friendly ingredients to make this dish suitable for vegetarians.
- Grilled Variation: Instead of frying the tortilla chips, you can grill them for a smoky flavor. Simply brush the tortilla squares with oil and grill them until crispy.
Benefits of Mexican Bhel
- Packed with nutrients from the variety of vegetables and beans, this Mexican bhel is a wholesome and nutritious snack option.
- It offers a burst of flavors and textures, making it a satisfying dish to all.
- The customizable nature of this recipe allows individuals to tailor it according to their taste preferences, making it suitable for gatherings and parties with diverse palates.
- By incorporating ingredients like beans and vegetables, this Mexican bhel is a great way to add more plant-based protein and fiber to your diet.
FAQs about Mexican Bhel
Q: Can I make this dish ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can prepare the bean mixture, tortilla chips, hot sauce, and salsa ahead of time and assemble the Mexican bhel just before serving to maintain the crunchiness of the chips.
Q: Can I adjust the spiciness of the dish?
A: Absolutely! You can control the heat level by adjusting the amount of jalapeno peppers used in the bean mixture and hot sauce. You can also remove the seeds from the jalapenos for a milder flavor.
Q: Is there a gluten-free option for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use gluten-free corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas to make the chips, ensuring the entire dish is gluten-free.
Q: Can I make a larger batch of hot sauce and salsa for future use?
A: Definitely! You can prepare a larger batch of hot sauce and salsa and store them in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just give them a good stir before using.
Other Recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen
If you’re looking to explore more Indian recipes, appetizers, beverages, and desserts, be sure to check out the following links on Manjula’s Kitchen. Here are some links to recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen official website: Paneer Tikka Masala, Chana Chaat (Spicy Chickpea Salad), Pav Bhaji (Spicy Vegetable Hash with Buns), Raj Kachori (Crunchy Chaat), Vegetable Biryani. These recipes should offer you a flavorful experience straight from Manjula’s Kitchen.