Roasted Caramelize Makhana Snack
- 4 cup makhana fox nuts, lotus seeds
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp almonds sliced
- Use a larger frying pan then you think you need, because it makes it easy to roast otherwise when you are roasting makhana will be dropping all over. Use heavy frying pan.
- In a frying pan take the makhana and drizzle with the oil, (save 2 teaspoons of oil and set this oil aside we will use later) and sprinkle the salt. Using your fingers mix it well until makhanas are coated well with oil and salt.
- Open the heat to medium low keep stirring till they are very light gold this should take about 6-8 minutes, try one makhana to make sure they are crispy. As they cool of, they will become crunchier.
- Remove them from frying pan, you will notice most of the salt will remain in the frying pan, wipe the frying pan, we will use it again.
- Use the same pan, heat over low medium heat. Put the oil we have saved in the frying pan, and sprinkle all the sugar, wait till you see sugar has start melting, now stir the sugar and keep stirring till the sugar has melted turn off the heat quick otherwise sugar will burn.
- Add almonds and roasted makhana, keep stirring till all the makhanas are coated with caramelize sugar and almonds. Spread it over non-stick surface and with spatula keep separating or separate with your fingers. Carnalized Makhanas are ready.
Roasted Caramelized Makhana Recipe
Roasted Caramelized Makhana is a delectable snack perfect for winter recipes and festive occasions like Krishna Janmashtami and Navaratri, offering a gluten-free, high-protein option that satisfies both vegan and non-vegan appetizers cravings. Roasted Caramelized Makhana is a delightful treat that combines the earthy crunch of makhana (fox nuts) with the sweet allure of caramel. This Caramel Makhana Recipe transforms simple ingredients into a gourmet snack that’s perfect for any occasion.
Step 1: Preparing the Makhana
To begin this Caramel Roasted Makhana Recipe, start by heating a pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of ghee, allowing it to melt and warm up. Then, add the makhana to the pan, ensuring they are in a single layer. Roast them gently, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. This step helps to enhance the nutty flavor of the makhana and prepare them for the caramel coating.
Step 2: Making the Caramel
Now, let’s move on to the star of this Caramel Roasted Makhana Recipe: the caramel. In a separate pan, melt butter over low heat. Once the butter has melted, add in sugar and stir continuously until the sugar dissolves completely. Keep a close eye on the mixture to prevent it from burning. As the sugar melts, it will gradually turn into a golden brown caramel, infusing the butter with its rich flavor.
Step 3: Coating the Makhana
Once the caramel reaches a beautiful golden hue, carefully pour it over the roasted makhana. Use a spatula to gently toss the makhana, ensuring that each piece is coated evenly with the caramel. Work quickly but cautiously, as the caramel will begin to harden upon contact with the makhana.
Step 4: Allowing to Cool
After coating the makhana with caramel, spread them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool. Allow them to sit undisturbed for at least 10-15 minutes, giving the caramel ample time to set. Once cooled, the makhana will form a delectable caramelized crust, adding an irresistible sweetness to every bite.
Step 5: Serving and Enjoying
Your Caramel Roasted Makhana is now ready to be enjoyed! Serve them as a standalone snack or incorporate them into your favorite dishes for a touch of sweetness and crunch. These caramelized makhana make for a perfect accompaniment to tea or coffee, or simply enjoy them as a guilt-free indulgence anytime you crave a delicious treat.
Tips for Perfect Caramelized Makhana:
- Ensure that the makhana are roasted until they are crisp but not browned before adding the caramel. This helps to prevent them from becoming too crunchy or overcooked.
- Work quickly when coating the makhana with caramel, as it can harden rapidly upon contact with the cooler makhana. Use a spatula to toss them gently and evenly coat each piece.
- Allow the caramelized makhana to cool completely before serving to ensure that the caramel has fully set and formed a crunchy crust.
Variations of Caramel Makhana:
- For a savory twist, you can add a pinch of salt or your favorite spices to the caramel mixture before coating the makhana. This adds depth of flavor and balances out the sweetness of the caramel.
- Experiment with different coatings such as melted chocolate or flavored syrups for a unique twist on this classic recipe. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cooled makhana and allow it to set before serving.
Benefits of Caramel Makhana:
Makhana, or fox nuts, are not only delicious but also offer a range of health benefits. They are low in calories and fat, making them an ideal snack for those looking to maintain a healthy diet. Makhana are also rich in protein, fiber, and antioxidants, which can help support overall health and well-being. Additionally, they are gluten-free and hypoallergenic, making them suitable for individuals with dietary restrictions or food sensitivities.
Q: Can I store caramelized makhana for later use?
A: Yes, you can store caramelized makhana in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Just make sure they are completely cooled and the caramel has set before storing them.
Q: Can I use other nuts instead of makhana for this recipe?
A: Absolutely! While this recipe specifically calls for makhana, you can easily substitute other nuts such as almonds, cashews, or peanuts for a different flavor and texture.
Q: Can I reheat caramelized makhana if they become soft?
A: Yes, if the caramelized makhana become soft or lose their crunchiness, you can reheat them in a low oven (around 250°F) for a few minutes until they become crisp again. Be sure to keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
Other Recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen
If you’re looking to explore more Indian recipes, appetizers, beverages, and desserts, be sure to check out the following links on Manjula’s Kitchen. Here are some links to recipes on Manjula’s Kitchen official website:
These recipes should offer you a flavorful experience straight from Manjula’s Kitchen.