Nariyal Burfi (Coconut Fudge)
Nariyal Burfi is simple and delicious dessert that only requires a few ingredients! It is super easy to make, and you can serve this as sweet snack in the form of candy. I make this burfi with caramelized sugar which gives a nice twist to the burfi itself.
- 1-3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup coconut powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 4 tsp butter
- 1 Tbsp pistachios sliced
- Soak the coconut in boiling milk for about 30 minutes.
- In a flat heavy bottom pan, over medium high heat melt one teaspoon of butter, add sugar, spread evenly in pan.
- After sugar start melting, keep stirring the sugar continuously till sugar start melting and changing the color to light brown. Turn off the heat as soon it comes to golden brown in color. This should take 4 minutes. Note: when sugar starts melting it changes the color very quickly and it can easily burn.
- Slowly add milk mixture sugar will become lumpy open the heat to medium and keep stirring sugar will dissolve and will give nice light brown color.
- Keep stirring and scraping the sides about 15 minutes mixture will become lumpy add the remaining butter and keep stirring until mixture become soft dough consistency.
- Pour it over greased plate and flatten with the greased back side of the spoon. Garnish with sliced pistachios.
- Leave for 3-4 hours before cutting them into pieces. Cut them into your desired shape. I like to cut them in 1’ squares.
Notes Caramelizing the sugar adds a very unique taste to Burfi, something every one talk about. Leave for 3-4 hours before cutting them into pieces. Cut them into your desired shape. I like to cut them in 1 inch squares. You will also enjoy few of these recipes, they are easy, has a long shelf life and also great gift ideas, Moong Dal Ladoo, Almond Brittle, Spicy Cashews,
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!