Recipe submitted by theheirloomessence
I adore this classic Italian dessert. I tasted this once and am in love with this. Mocha Cannoli is a deep fried tube shaped pastry shell stuffed with the mixture of ricotta cheese and sugar and dipped in nuts. Who won’t like these!! I am not a big fan of deep frying, so I was trying to bake cannoli pastry shell for a while. Finally after several tries here is the perfected recipe!
For the pastry:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/4 tea spoon baking powder
- 2 tb spoons sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tb spoon cold butter
- 2 tb spoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the filling ( Mocha):
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tb spoons sugar
- 1 tea spoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tb spoon warm water
- 2-3 tb spoons grated dark chocolate
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts to decorate.
- For the pastry, add the flours,salt ,sugar,baking powder in a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add cold butter and sour cream and pulse again for a minute. After a minute, keeping the food processor running, add water slowly to incorporate everything into a ball.
- Once mixture starts to come together, stop pulsing. Remove from food processor, knead the mixture a few times to form a ball, wrap in a plastic wrap and chill for at least half an hour.
- You get Cannoli forms in the market that you can use or else you can do what I did. Tightly roll the heavy duty foil into a cylinder shape and use that as a cannoli form.
- Divide the chilled dough into 20 small balls. Roll each ball to make a thin circle.Wrap this rolled dough around the oiled/buttered ‘cannoli form’ and set aside. Make the rest of cannoli.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place cannoli onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven after 10 minutes and remove the half baked pastry shell carefully from the form. It comes off very easily.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature before stuffing them. These empty shells can last up to 2 days at room temperature.
- To make the stuffing, dissolve a teaspoon instant coffee powder in a tablespoon warm water and set aside to cool it down.
- Whip the cream with sugar and the dissolved coffee until firm peaks. Add ricotta cheese and whip again. Add grated chocolate and mix.
- Fill the piping bag with the mixture and stuff the cannoli shells from both ends.
- Dip the stuffed shells into mini chocolate chips and hazelnuts and chill for half an hour so that the filling hardens a little. They are ready to serve!
- Stuffed cannoli will stay crunchy for 3-4 hours. After that it turns soggy.
- This recipe (stuffing only) is just a guideline.You can add any flavor combination that you like.