Masala Lauki Ki Sabji
Lauki is a simple and healthy vegetable side dish that is also known as opo squash, or Bottle Gourd. Lauki is a staple vegetable in most Indian homes because of its many known health benefits. The vegetable itself is rather bland, so I love manipulating its flavor.
- 1 medium size lauki peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces will make about 4 cups
- 2 medium size tomatoes finely chopped - will make about 1 cup
- 2 Tbsp oil canola or vegetable
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 2 Tbsp besan gram flour
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds methi
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 tsp shredded ginger adrak
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped green chili
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro hara dhania
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Oil should be moderately hot. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds, asafetida, and fenugreek seeds stir for few seconds. Lower the heat add the besan (besan gives the light aroma and thickness to the gravy) and stir for few seconds. Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric, ginger and green chili stir for few seconds then add tomatoes and salt. Increase the heat medium high. Cook stirring until spices start leaving the oil this should take about 3-4 minute.
- Last add lauki and about 1 cup of water and let it cook until lauki is tender. This should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!