Recipe submitted by Divya Pradhan
Black Eyed Peas with Green Peas is a high fiber protein packed dish that can be served as a breakfast item or as a side dish.
Total Preparation Time –30 minutes
Servings-3 to 4
- 2 cup boiled black eye peas
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Salt & lemon juice as per taste
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder or as per taste
- 1 tsp Coriander leaves (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions. Stir and add ginger.
- Sauté this mixture for 4-5 minutes or till the onions become translucent.
- Add green peas & sauté for 2-3 mins, add tomatoes and let it cook for 2-3mins.
- Now add coriander powder, chili powder, salt and black eye peas and mix. Let this mixture cook for at least 5 mins on medium flame, stirring in between.
- Add lemon juice according to your taste and mix again.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.(Optioanl)
This information is gathered from the Internet and it s only for dry or cooked black eye peas. This does not apply to canned version.
One of the main health benefits of black-eyed peas is their high fiber content. A 1/2 cup of dry black-eyed peas that are cooked have 5.6 g of fiber. Fiber is a nutrient that helps regulate your digestive system, and increasing your intake could help alleviate constipation and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Fiber also helps keep your cholesterol levels healthy by preventing cholesterol from being absorbed into your bloodstream, which reduces your risk of developing heart disease.
Low in Fat and Calories
Black-eyed peas are a low-fat and low-calorie food, making them a healthy addition to a weight-loss meal plan. 1/2 cup of black-eyed peas is generally less than 100 calories and contains about 1 g of fat. A diet that is low in fat and calories helps you lose weight, prevents weight gain and protects you from many health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes and depression.
Black-eyed peas are a good alternative source of protein if you don’t eat meat. Protein is important because it supports most of the parts of your body, including muscles, skin, hair and nails. In addition, protein helps cells grow and repair and provides energy to your body. A 1/2 cup of dry and cooked black-eyed peas contains 6.7 g of protein.
1/2 cup cooked dry black-eyed peas contains 2.2 mg. Getting adequate iron in your diet prevents anemia, which produces fatigue and weakness. Iron carries oxygen throughout your body to your organs, cells and muscles, and if the supply is low you experience sluggishness.
A 1/2 cup of cooked black-eyed peas contains 239 mg of potassium. Potassium is a nutrient that helps keep your blood pressure levels at healthy numbers, which lowers your risk of heart disease. Getting adequate potassium in your diet from black-eyed peas also supports the health of your muscles and bones.