Recipe submitted by Samahita Kabra
The Mexican rice drink called Horchata has been adapted to Indian tastes. It is not only a refreshing drink but also very good for health.
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp flaked almonds
- Rinse rice and pour warm water on top.
- Add cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Cover and let the rice soak overnight or for at least 10 hours.
- Puree the soaked rice in a blender along with cinnamon stick and cardamom pods.
- Strain pureed rice and water through muslin cloth, squeezing it firmly to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Blend the powdered sugar and coconut milk with the rice extract.
- Serve chilled in a tall glass with ice. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top for texture.